Saturday, May 08, 2010

finished the bib apron.

1940s Mail Order pattern #2254

Miss Burton and I have been cooperating a little better these days, so I finished the last part of this project on her.

I really love this apron, but if I make another one would I would change some things.

In the first place, the instructions are for an unlined apron. The vintage feedsack fabric was pretty thin so I lined the whole apron to give it some bulk. This was actually more difficult than I thought it would be, because when to line, how to line & what side to leave open for turning is all strategic. I should probably take some time now to write down what I did so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I'd also make the pockets a little larger & move them. Right now, they're gathered at the top, sewn into the waistband & left open at the side. That's a lot of thickness at the waistband seam, especially since I lined the pockets. I'd either move them down & leave them open at the top, or move them down & to the sides & leave the sides open.

My favorite detail on this apron is the waistband. I love-love the waistband.

If I make another one, I'll lose all the ruffles & trim the entire thing in contrasting bias tape.