Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Butterick 6956 - halter bodice pattern.

The 1950s style halter top pattern I wanted, wasn't easy to find. There are several different styles, but I wanted one with the straps out towards the sides. It would be great if I had the skill set to draft my own, but I'm just not there yet.

If you do happen to find one of these patterns, you'll probably end up losing an aggressive bidding war unless money is no option. Or you could totally luck out & find your halter pattern hidden amongst several other vintage patterns in a low quality ebay photo that everyone else passed by like this one:


That would be my story. The pattern arrived today & I'm so excited to begin working on it:

Butterick 6956 halter bodice view A

Butterick 6956 instructions

& although I didn't really care about the rest of the patterns in the set, there are 3 that are pretty cool.

These 2 Simplicity suit patterns, #4550 (c. 1953)

Simplicity 4550 c. 1953

& #3084 (c. early 1960s?)

Simplicity 3084

& this Vogue Couturier #196 (c. 1959) sheath dress & the purple faux fur jacket:

Vogue Couturier 196

I don't know why pattern companies didn't date their patterns. Every now & then you'll find a date at the bottom of an instruction sheet, but it's totally random. I'm getting better at recognizing the general period, if not by style or hemline than by the price on the pattern envelope.

0 comments: