Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Fall has finally arrived.  It was a chilly weekend with rain today, so I decided to make some bread.

I wasn't feeling that industrious, so I chose King Arthur Flour's No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread, which requires the bare minimum in preparation. Simply throw all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, mix with your beaters on high speed for 3 minutes and then scrape into a loaf pan and let rise for about 90 minutes-

90 minute rise

- just until the loaf crests over the top of the pan.

crest

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, rest in pan on a rack for 5 minutes and then turn out of the pan.

Because you're scraping a very soft dough into the pan as opposed to kneading and forming a loaf that you place in the pan, the finished product isn't the most attractive loaf I've ever seen. I did try to smooth the top a bit (because I couldn't stand it) but it's still a little raggedy.

no-knead whole wheat bread

It looks much nicer on the inside

whole wheat bread

No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Notes
  • used Irish butter left over from...something, I can't remember what
  • whole milk instead of water + nonfat dry milk.
  • for the sweetener - maple syrup
  • 90 minute rise time
  • 45 minute bake time

In the reader comments on the KAF blog, someone mentioned the bread was a little salty, and someone else mentioned that using maple syrup left a slight maple flavor but added no sweetness and I have to agree with both of these comments. Next time, I'll try 1/2 or 3/4 tsp salt and use honey instead of maple syrup.

The bread is nice and soft and although the crumb is pretty dense, the loaf is still very light and you don't feel weighed down by eating a slice.

I'll definitely make it again. It's a nice little loaf and very easy to put together.

100% whole wheat bread