Sunday, May 01, 2011

Drafting Sleeves.


I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding drafting sleeves. What a pain in the ass. But since my bodice sloper is close to being completed, it was time to deal with the sleeves.

I did everything you're supposed to do with measurements, ease calculations, squaring lines, using the french curve, etc. and I produced a very nice looking self-drafted custom sleeve pattern:

drafting sleeves

that produced a sad, sad, ill-fitting sleeve. And that's putting it mildly. Even the wrist didn't fit.


sleeve fail.

If I ever manage to recover from my disgust, I think what I'll do next is find a manufactured sleeve pattern that fits reasonably well and then try to alter it.

The only encouraging thing about this project is that I decided to try hand basting the sleeves into the bodice and I think it was a lot easier doing it that way because you have more control.

So there's that.

hand basted.