Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

misc #23



I went to a Paris fashion show once.  You get in through a scrum of sharp-elbowed lady fashion experts, and they sit you on these toy-sized gilded chairs.  From behind the velvet curtains we could all hear the screaming of the fashion models.  They were swearing and fighting about mirrors, zips and hairbrushes.  Suddenly the lights were lowered to the level of candlelight.  There was the muted music of violins and someone pumped Chanel into the air.  From the old biddies came only the refined sound made by petite hands in silken gloves."

"I don't get you," said Miss Shaw.  She moved again.

"Well, it's mutual,"  I said.  "And no one regrets it more than I do."

"I meant the fashion show."

"It taught me all I ever learned about women."

"What's that?"

"I'm not sure."