Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

quickie work skirt - Built By Wendy

IMG_0143

This artfully posed piece of crap iphone pic is representative of how I don't care anymore about the sewing photography action shots. I'm too busy. I did, however, make the effort to throw on a turtleneck & some tights (if not shoes).

I made this skirt up very quickly. It's a dupe of this one from a Built by Wendy pattern only a little longer for winter. Perfect for schlepping through the rain in the Hunter Wellingtons. Fabric is a mystery "wool" from the cheap fabric store. $3.99/yard. Very soft stuff. I love it, although I should probably stay away from candles and Christmas lights.

For shits & giggles, I frenched the side seams because I'd never done that before.

french seams

I really love the finish, but it wasn't the best idea for a medium-weight "wool". The side seams are a little too bulky but whatever. It's a work skirt.

Here's where I show off my hand sewing which is getting better all the time.

handsewn lining

Many tiny even stitches. Ooh aah.

Ms. X sent the halter bodice back to me. On paper, I need only alter the bottom waistline edge and take it in a little at the sides but I well know how these things go. We'll just have to see how it fits once I add the corselet to the mix.

Right now, I'm researching how to construct the corselet which gets sewn into the halter bodice. The corselet is the structural foundation of the dress. We're talking handsewn bra cups and 6 bones, people. This is not a full-on corset, but instead a corset-lite. And if I do it correctly, the silk dupioni of Ms. X's dress will hang nice & smooth & Ms. X will be fully supported in all the right places.

I'm pretty excited about this project. So many new things to learn!