Pages

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The true 'true waistline'.

finally determined the true 'true waistline' on my dressform.

I bought my dressform almost 2 years ago. Since then, I've been trying to learn how to get the proper fit on my garments and the process has been slow and more than a little frustrating. The self-drafted skirt is the first time I've fit something totally to my measurements and it fits me like a glove.

But when I put the skirt onto the dressform, I kept having to adjust it to hit what I thought was the true waistline on my form. Since the skirt fits me perfectly, I figured it was time to reconsider the location of the form's true waistline.


I'd planned on using my measuring tape for this little project but couldn't find it anywhere. So while wearing the skirt I painter-taped myself from the base of my throat to the skirt's waistline and then transferred the painters tape to the dress form. I discovered that form's waistline was at least a couple of inches lower than it should be because I'd put too much padding around the waist. So I removed some of the waist padding and now the skirt sits where it should on my form.

It only took me 2 years to find the true waistline, but at least it didn't take as much time to fix as the bust padding situation. I didn't really talk much about that here, but oy vey. Gravity's either shifting me, the padding on the dressform or both, but the whole bustline situation has been like a moving target.