Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scottish Bannocks

It's been a little over a month since I gave up flour and white sugar. The first 3 1/2 weeks were cold turkey- totally gluten-free and no white sugar - but now I'm allowed the occasional splurge of flour or sugar.

There were moments during the cold turkey phase when I thought I might kill someone if I didn't eat a piece of bread, but that's passed for the most part and it's really not that bad.

I finally tried one of those gluten-free oat puck things that you see wrapped up in Seran and stacked on the counter at markets. They look like they've been there forever and they taste like it too. I was thinking there has to be a better way with these. So far I haven't come across any kind of recipe for them although truthfully I didn't try very hard because while googling 'oat cake' I came upon a recipe for Scottish Bannocks which are nothing like the stale oat puck.

First, you mix some oats, a tiny bit of wheat flour and some buttermilk or yogurt in a bowl, cover it and let it sit on the counter for 8 hours. I did that this morning.

bannocks dough

When I got home from work this evening, I added melted butter, salt and baking powder to the oats mix and then rolled the dough out with a pin. The dough isn't that sticky so it was easy to roll and I didn't need to use any additional flour. I was able to get 17 bannocks with a 2 1/4" cutter (I just grabbed what looked like the right size from the tin but next time I'll use either a 2" or 2 1/2" cutter).

DSC01347

Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until golden.

Here they are in all their interesting glory- crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The flavor is most definitely earthy and there's a tang from the yogurt.

DSC01362

Serve with honey, jam, cheese or I don't know what else. I'll have to get back to you on that.

They're probably not for everyone, but I can also see how they would be the kind of thing that grows on you which is where I stand at the moment. They're pure in ingredients and oats are excellent for you so I plan on experimenting a little more with this recipe.