Pages

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Moved!


I moved! And I love my new apartment!

There is nothing better than change and although I'm pretty exhausted right now, I'm happy. This move happened pretty fast, but that's because everything was (for once) falling into place and much more rapidly than I could process. I had no choice but to just go with the flow.

Graduating from a studio to a 1-bedroom means I'm going to have to buy some furniture now. I'm in the market for some key pieces and at the top of my list is a dining room table that can double as a worktable and storage for my sewing things. I don't have much of a fabric stash and I plan to keep it that way, but I've got to get the notions, thread, tools and all the rest of it stored neatly away. That means saying goodbye to the last of my cake tools because I don't want the sewing tools to have to compete anymore.  The vintage cake carrier and milk glass cake stands in the photo above are staying though!

The building where I live now was built in the 1950s and the owners have kept it immaculate. There are a lot of period details, including an incredible brass door chime. I'll have to take some pictures of all the wonderful surprises in this apartment. It really is true that they don't make them like this anymore and I'm so glad the owners kept these small details intact.

A friend of mine sent me a link to an endtable at lushpad.com. It was there that I found (and fell in love with) this credenza and end table set--


I marked the credenza dimensions with painters tape in the sewing room (the end tables would go in the living room) and it fits perfectly. It was only after sending a link to Dennis the Menace that I noticed it's for local pickup only in Los Angeles. We have friends in LA who could go pick it up, but I still have to haul it up here to SF. I'm still weighing the pros and cons & logistics of making this happen. I figure if not this set, at least I know what I'm looking for now and something else will appear at some point in the future.

I want to avoid going 100% Mid-Century Modern with this apartment, but I think it would be great to own just a few cool pieces in this style.