Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Rice Pudding in the Crock Pot

Crock Pot Rice Pudding

I don't recall eating rice pudding when I was growing up so the fact that I've been craving rice pudding lately is kind of strange.

I made a very small batch of it in the crockpot this weekend and it was great.

Recipe:

1/2 cup medium-grain rice, rinsed
2 cups nonfat milk
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
pinch salt

1 egg
vanilla bean paste

Butter the crockpot liner and add all ingredients except for the egg and vanilla bean paste.

My 1.5 quart crockpot has 1 temperature setting:  ON.  I cooked it for 2 hours, 15 minutes and it was perfect.  When the rice is tender and the pudding is the right consistency, beat the egg and temper it with some of the hot pudding. Add that back into the crockpot and whisk well.  Stir in some vanilla bean paste and serve hot, cold or at room temperature.