Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rhubarb Bars.

Rhubarb Bars

I'm a big fan of rhubarb, but unfortunately it costs an arm and a leg in the city so I get to make something rhubarb maybe twice during the season.  These little cookie bars were pretty good.  I made half with nuts, half without.  Next time, I'll lose the nuts.  I think the bars are better without them.  And I'll probably up the rhubarb to 2 1/2 cups.



Rhubarb Bars
Yield:  18-20 bars

Oven to 350.
Line a 9" square pan with parchment.

For Crust:

1 C flour
1/3 C confectioners sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1 tsp cinnamon

In small bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, stir together crust ingredients until it forms a dough.  Press dough into parchment-lined pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

For Filling:

2 eggs
1 C sugar
1/4 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
 2 C thinly sliced rhubarb (about 2 stalks)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla bean paste.  Fold in rhubarb.  Spread filling over hot crust.  Top with nuts, if desired.

Bake 35 minutes.  Cool in pan on rack.  Cut into bars. 

Note:  To make cutting easier, dip your knife in hot water.

Rhubarb Cookie Bars