Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Urban Hobble.

urban hobble.

If you're not following my 365 photos, then you don't know that I sprained my ankle yesterday morning. I was doing the daily pre-dawn powerwalk & I saw a For Rent sign across the street. It was still dark out & I wasn't paying attention to anything but getting across the street to see what the rent was & now I'm going to have to pay for that moment of recklessness for a week or two & I'm not very happy about it.

It's worse than I thought it was, but not as bad as it has been. I've sprained this ankle numerous times over the years so it's not my first rodeo with the ice & the ACE bandage.


Today was the first day of real soreness, swelling & bruising, which means I had to do the hobble. All day long. I don't like moving slow on city streets. Makes me feel really vulnerable. And it's not easy holding onto a backpack, umbrella, electronic transit card AND going up and down the bus steps when everyone around you is moving at full speed.

I did discover something interesting today. Women will give up their seats for you on the bus, smile sympathetically and move out of your way or try to clear the way for you. Men, on the other hand, don't get a shit about your sprained ankle.

I guess I assumed pretty much everyone wouldn't give a shit about my injury-related issues, so it was a nice surprise to see that women were generally kind.